Saturday, March 24, 2012

[Satur]day Flashback: A Weekend Away

Friday Flashback is coming to you on Saturday this week because we spent the weekend (our weekends always happen midweek) visiting various family members to the north. And a fabulous weekend it was!

The snow followed us around -- but it's March in Idaho, so that's not too strange -- but we stayed warm and dry and had good time with in-laws, cousins, and my maternal grandparents. (My other grandpa and grandma live up north too but have the flu -- so here's a feel-better shout out to them!)

Two days ago we spent the entire day goofing off with Grammy and Poppy. I spent eight years of my life living about three giant leaps from their house, but being farther away now has the advantage of making every visit to their house a special time.



There's nothing quite like spending a slow, lazy day eating brownies, playing pinochle, and being told how cute my kids are, how kind my husband is, and how capable I am. (And an 80-year-old neighbor who dropped by told me I had a nice figure. Ha! He also brought a box of See's Chocolate truffles. I ate like seven.) Gram and Pop's is also one of the last Internet-less places in America, and as much as I do enjoy the constant buzz of the web, having it gone for a while provides a rare peace that I could use more often.

I'm so glad my boys get to know all my grandparents, and that my grandparents are young enough to really enjoy spending time with my boys. As Henry and Danny (who is named after my Pop) enjoyed the toys, treats, and attention of the weekend, I was reminded that visiting my grandparents was always a special occasion when I was a kid, too -- and for all the same reasons. Even kids need days with no demands.

Your flashback for this week, then, comes in the form of a photo of me and Poppy from roughly 20 years ago, and a few photos from this weekend.

My Pop can nap anywhere. Glad I inherited that ability.

Reading "Just a Dump Truck"

Happy Dan, Happy Gram

Happy Saturday, everyone! Hope your weekend -- whenever it happens -- is a good one.

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Haha, little sleepy Tara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of love that your other arm has gone missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think it's inside my sweatshirt ... hard to tell, because I'm wearing lovely turquoise from head to toe.

      Delete

Happy commenting! Remember: Debate is encouraged. Meanies are not. (And if you don't have a Google account but want to leave your name, select Name/URL)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...