Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Read and Respond

When I shuffle through my Facebook feed every day, I inevitably run into a post -- or three or ten -- that makes me want to slam my face on my desk.

Sometimes it's because I strongly disagree. Sometimes it's because I agree strongly but am frustrated with the way the thought was expressed. A few times lately it's because I've seen people I really like picking fights with each other, sometimes directly, sometimes with subtle, indirect jabs that are still so well-placed. (And yeah, sometimes it's also because I'm friends with my teenage cousins, and most of what they say is like a secret code to me, and that makes me feel old.)

Day after day, I keep running into these posts and news stories and ideas that make me want to respond, but the idea of responding makes me feel like a scared little rabbit with a too-small cage and a too-fast heartbeat. (Unless they're sleeping, I imagine that rabbits have a running commentary in their heads something along the lines of "Ohgoshohgoshohgoshohnoohcrapohgosh...")

Part of me feels like a wuss for never, or at least very rarely, responding. When I do, it's usually to request clarification, to make a joke, or to offer up something along the lines of "this is just my personal point of view, but ..."  Something very safe. Something couched in fluff. Something that keeps the little rabbit in the too-small cage because at least that's better than the too-big world.


On the occasion I do insert my argument, I usually spend way too much time afterward worrying what people will say in response.

I've had a few conversations with people lately about how important it is to speak one's own mind -- and found myself sitting on my opinions in those very conversations.

In one way that ticks me off at myself -- aren't my opinions valuable? Shouldn't I be able to express the things I wrestle with and ponder and pray about and wake up in the dead of night and worry over? But the issue isn't whether I can, it's whether I should.

Not "should" as in "this is an important topic that should be discussed!" Should as in "will discussing this particular topic in this place, in this manner, with these people, be beneficial to all involved?" 

Consider the exhortation of James the Just: "Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, and slow to wrath." (James 1:19, for you who like to look stuff up)

I've been trying to be deliberate about these things because for all the times I've spoken my mind and been pleased, I've run my mouth and gotten myself in trouble.

Fact is, I value my friendships more than my opinions, and I won't let the latter do unnecessary damage to the former. So if you're wondering why I'm staying out of certain debates, there ya go.

But because I feel like this was a bit of a dreary and rambling post, let's wrap up topic on which I will always, always, always enter the discussion: Reading.

Five Notes About Reading This Week:

1. I will never, ever get tired of doing funny voices for the characters in my kids' books. My mom did it for me, I do it for them. Favorite book to read aloud lately: Karma Wilson's "Bear Snores On." 

2. Hunger Games movie is out on Friday!!!. Yes, I'm on that bandwagon, and yes I'll be there opening night (though not at midnight; I'm no spring chicken) --  though hoping it turns out more Harry Potter 6, less Harry Potter 1, in terms of nerdy book-to-movie adaptations.

3. I've never been a big-time C.S. Lewis devotee beyond the Narnia books, but I'm responsible for teaching my five little private schoolers Till We Have Faces in a few weeks. I'm finding Lewis' last novel is giving me much to think about, question, and love -- mark of a dang good book. Please read it so we can talk about it.

4. Added a new magazine to my weekly/monthly mess of magazines (I loooove magaziiiines): Relevant. It's a progressive Christian magazine and is waaaaay too hip for me (they keep talking about bands I've never heard of! It's like working at my college radio station all over again!) but I'm excited to add it to my reading list and see where it takes me.

5. But the best reading so far this week wasn't me. It was my Henry, who is amazing us with his emerging mad reading skillz. (Really not trying to brag here -- but the boy is 3!) 

He just woke up and came and interrupted the writing of this blog post (and is driving a fire truck over my typing hands at the moment), and asked if I'd write him a secret message to read, like I often do when he is curious about my writing on the computer.

So I wrote, and he read, "I love Henry! He is a good and funny boy."

And that's something I'm more than happy to talk about.

8 comments:

  1. I was just thinking, driving home today, how frustrated I am this year that I am having to walk the balance at work between keeping relationships with my coworkers and speaking up for what I think is right. There is a whole drama behind this, but, as I am sure you know, I keep my mouth shut a lot (especially in large groups), and today I think it was to the detriment of a program we are being asked to implement. Why are the loud people always the ones that disagree with me!?! Sometimes I wish I had way more of a spine.

    I LOVE that Henry is starting to read. :) He is awesome.

    AND you need to read "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" by Mary E. Pearson. AMAZING. You'll love it. I'm trying to borrow a copy for you. Happy readingness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I tend to be on the same wavelength :) Though I think arguments at work are very different than on Facebook -- especially when it's something real and implementable, not just theoretical. But don't beat yourself up for not speaking up -- just keep trying :) I know you can do it!

      And I'll put "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" on my Kindle list so I don't forget it!

      Delete
  2. I'm certainly in the camp of friends being more important than opinions. That said though I would tend to hope that most friendships are strong enough to weather a bit of disagreement over hot button issues. Some aren't though and that's sad. Still you should speak your mind even if you're scared. I haven't read Hunger Games but hear lots of good things. They are on my reading list. Speaking of reading, reading to my daughter is the purest joy of any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree that most friendships could weather it -- especially because I know I have quite a few friends who have some pretty fundamental disagreements with me and we manage to be just fine -- but I'd rather not poke sleeping tigers unless there's a really good reason. Facebook usually isn't it.

      And I bet you and Lindsay are amazing reading to Clara :) Have you read Mo Willem's Elephant and Piggie books? They're super fun to read, and especially fun as a team :)

      Delete
  3. I think the major difficulty in speaking one's mind, when one is a thinking and caring person, is the amount of out and out vitriol that's going around these days. I have certain friends and family members with whom I can have respectful, thought-provoking conversations, but beyond that group I very seldom offer strong opinions unless positively compelled. Discussions (particularly on facebook and other places where face-to-face contact is not required) seem to have become so nasty lately. I'm afraid this has created the assumption with some that I have no strong opinions. SO NOT TRUE! But I have no wish to join in the mass disemboweling of my friends and relations.

    I absolutely LOVED "Till We Have Faces", by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you love Till We Have Faces!! Any suggestions for teaching it to 15-year-olds?

      Delete
  4. Tara--I will definitely read C.S. Lewis's 'Till We have Faces. I read the first page on amazon.com and am intrigued! Need to finish Game of Thrones first and then will start on this book.

    I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this topic of "responding". There have been some very hot button issues cropping on up facebook and it certainly does require some thought before responding, if at all. I agree that there is a time and a place for these sorts of discussions, and it seems to me that facebook and other social media is not the best medium for such conversations for a variety of reasons. First is the lack of space--a person is limited to a few sentences. Second, is the majority of us rush in posting something. Finally, there is the lack of vocal intonation/inflection that combined with someone posting something in a rush can lead to more misunderstandings. However the lack of inonation/inflection doesn't necessarily mean that e-mail cannot be used as a medium. I think if one thinks carefully, it can be worded very well. Anyways just my perspective on the issue... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) What did you think of Game of Thrones? I've been considering giving it a try.

      Delete

Happy commenting! Remember: Debate is encouraged. Meanies are not. (And if you don't have a Google account but want to leave your name, select Name/URL)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...