Monday, March 12, 2012

Career Planning for Babies

In that silly part of my mind that thinks far, far too far into the future, I've created a nice little list of Careers I Hope My Boys Might Have.

Practicing for spacewalks
In no particular order:

1. Astronaut
2. Medical missionary
3. Professional baseball player (Seattle Mariners preferred)
4. Folk-rock singer/songwriter

If you think it's weird that I cultivate such a list, then get this: I also fret about what might happen should they actually become any of these things. Medical missionaries are often in harm's way! Professional baseball players are often jerks! Singer-songwriters often live in vans! Astronauts FREAKING GO TO OUTER SPACE! 


Et cetera.

We've been thinking a lot about careers in this family lately. Mostly because none of us (babies and otherwise) have them. Wished-for careers, maybe. Magical things called "career options" that our college degrees are supposed to give us. But like anyone who's done any job hunting in the past couple years knows, "options" is a pretty meaningless word. (That, and I just really like bumming around my house doing made-up things like "mothering" and "blogging" and "reading books for fun.")

I get a little down on careers sometimes. I like the quote "Careers are a twentieth-century invention, and I don't want one," even if I don't really dig the story it comes from (Into the Wild. Overrated.)  Why can't Americans be things like hunter-gatherers anymore? Tim would have made a great hunter-gatherer.

But you can't buy cars or houses or every Toy Story action figure known to man as a hunter-gatherer. Or as a stay-at-home parent, or a worker in a low-paying but enjoyable and easygoing job, or anything like that. Nooo, you've got to work your butt off, then work off the layers of muscle and bone beneath your butt. And if you don't, you're lazy, or a moocher, or unmotivated, or whatever -- no matter who you are otherwise.

I haven't solved the problem of work, or money, or rat-races, or any of that, and I don't suppose I will by the time my boys grow up, unfortunately.

I can't guarantee they'll be any of the things on my list, or any of the things on the wish-lists they'll have someday. I can't guarantee they'll like those jobs if they have them. I can't even guarantee they'll have jobs they like even a little bit at all. But I can start now telling them it doesn't matter.

If my kids want a career, great. But I don't want them to need one. I don't want a job to be what makes my babies happy someday. I want them to find their joy and peace and identity in God, in their families and friends, in their communities, in all the things they do that they're not paid for. I'd love it if they loved their jobs, but I don't ever want them to think their worth is in their career. My parents never put that expectation on me, and I'm thankful for it, especially on days when I start beating myself up over lack of big paychecks and important credentials.

Someday, when my boys are grown up and someone asks me "So what do your kids do?" I'd like to answer with something like, "Well, they spend a ton of time at home with their families, they have wonderful adventures wherever they go, they serve God and their neighbors, they build and create and explore."

(And then -- maybe -- I'd like to add, "on Mars.")



8 comments:

  1. Love this Tara! :) And you are not as crazy in thinking as I am - I think about this stuff with my kids that don't even exist, that are still floating imaginations in my mind right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate :) And I totally worried about them before they existed, too!

      Delete
  2. Collin and I were literally talking about this just today. With me being a housewife paying off student loans, I have days where I feel bad about not being a 'contributing member of society. But I contribute to my home, husband, and family and I am incredibly happy doing it. Today I knit a baby sweater for a friend and it was more fulfilling than most jobs I've had. Life is about the little things and I've never been willing to sell my soul at the cost of living a happy life. I may not be rich, but I sometimes you are happier when you're poor. You really appreciate what you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! There are so many ways to contribute :)

      Delete
  3. I don't think it's fair to say careers are a 20th century invention (I hate "Into the Wild" too). The CHOICE of what career you have is more like it. I mean think about it — your job used to be such a huge part of who you were (you likely got it from your father) that it became your identifier and we created last names: Baker, Smith, Miller, Brewer, Taylor (Tailor), Carpenter ... etc.

    The problem with the 21st century notion of career is that we haven't been able to let go of that ingrained rigidity — we assume "career" as lifelong identifier when it no longer has to be. It's getting more and more common for people to change "careers" mid-life. The pressure of this horrid idea that you have to go to school and pick ONE THING to do for the rest of your days with life expectancies of 80-plus years is asinine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point -- though I think the choice of career is mostly a good thing, it can add stress too. Some days I wish we were still handed roles at birth ... no "What will you DO with your life?!" Just, I was born a Candlestick Maker, I'll die a Candlestick Maker.
      And I love your point about the lifelong identifier -- it's very discouraging to discover how few people get out of college and does exactly what they've studied to do - and how many who do find out they don't want to do it. Knocking down that expectation of lifelong careers would make entry-level and totally random jobs seem less like dreams lost (or not worked for hand enough) and more like facts of life.

      Delete
  4. I'd like to say I'm unaffected by such pressure to conform. I'd like to say that I am unaffected by the stigma surrounding my current "occupation". I pray that my son is able to do something he loves, because he loves it, not because he has to do it. But...

    I am constantly reminded that I don't actually have a career, at least in societies eyes, and that I have somehow failed miserably because of it. I am reminded that caring for my husband, son and home simply must mean I am a extremely lazy co-dependent woman. That I failed somehow because I am not making six figures, or five...or any for that matter...and that is now the measure of success.
    I would like to say I never listen to those opinions, but that's not true. Even though I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am doing a right and worth while thing, sometimes those opinions get to me. I am a real human with feelings.

    For my son, I would pray that he would be driven to what he "does for a living" by his own heart and by following the direction of the Lord leading. Also, I would pray that he would be unaffected by society's definition of success. We all must eat and pay for housing, but there is a difference between your money defining you and supporting you.

    I think these things start by leading by example, Lord give me the strength.

    ReplyDelete

Happy commenting! Remember: Debate is encouraged. Meanies are not. (And if you don't have a Google account but want to leave your name, select Name/URL)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...