Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday Flashback: New glasses, old band nerds

Ohhh, week, you elusive little booger, where did you go? Here we are at Friday again. And almost the end of February!

Fridays are now Flashback Fridays at Tarababble, because I need some regular features, and I like alliteration.

I'm modeling the idea on a feature that lots of newspapers run, looking back at the headlines at certain points in the past. The idea is to dig up some fun stories otherwise lost to time (but not lost to Facebook Timeline!), and maybe get you reflecting a bit on points past, too. Let's hope it's fun, shall we?

----

One Day Ago Today: I am the purchaser of new glasses! Present glasses have a nasty scratch and are missing most of an earpiece and also the world has become a little blurry through them, so it was time. I tried on all the Super Awesome Hip glasses and bought the least hip. My face just can't take hip. When I wear thick frames I look like I belong in a old yearbook. Not doing something awesome like A/V Club or ham radio, though. I'm that kid who wandered through the background of someone else's scene and has the hem of my pants tucked into my socks.

One Week Ago Today: Was ... a Friday ... aaaaand that's all I've got.

One Month Ago Today: Henry's third birthday was imminent. I spent most of the day painstakingly making handmade cupcakes in the shapes of Cars characters, inspired by a recipe I saw on Pinterest ... hahahahha, no. I did eat some frosting out of a can, though.





One Year Ago Today: Facebook tells me that on Feb. 24, 2011, I was a woman in demand. My posts from that day include: 1) A friend asking if I'm still coming over. 2) A student asking if I'm going to be in my office soon.  3) A classmate asking if I have finished editing any of her thesis. On initially seeing this, I assumed my answers to all items were "no." But I actually accomplished everything! Go pregnant, cranky, busy 2011 Tara!

Two Years Ago Today: On February 24, 2010, I got into grad school. I'd been dreaming of the MFA program through three long years of journalism. And man, I was so excited. I wouldn't trade it, really, even though I barely lasted a year. I came out a little more cynical about the creative writing world, but also with a pile of new ideas, new friends, and new stories.

Ten Years Ago Today: Well, roughly today. I didn't have Facebook in 2002. (And thank goodness for that! I can't imagine what high school would have been like with FB ... *shudder*.) But the end of February 2002 was the very first time my high school band performed at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival. We were clueless and awesome. After we played, it rained, snowed, and hailed all within the course of about 5 minutes as we fled to the bus. Also we had a pine cone war. I would never, ever, relive high school for the long term, but this is one of the times I like to hang on to.


My high school jazz band. Nerdtastic!



Twenty Years Ago Today: This item overwhelms me a bit, because I've hit the point in my life where I can actually remember things that happened 20 years ago. Eep. I'm guessing 1992 Tara probably spent most of February preparing the Stuffed Animal Winter Olympics, organizing her Michael Jordan cards, and longing for spring. Ahhh, spring ...

----

Happy Friday, everyone!





1 comment:

  1. Yikes...that picture still haunts me! And I actually still own it. :o) Great blog Tara. I always enjoy reading them! -Kristen

    ReplyDelete

Happy commenting! Remember: Debate is encouraged. Meanies are not. (And if you don't have a Google account but want to leave your name, select Name/URL)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...