Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Abundance


I like to think I’m a grocery store Jedi – able to get in and out with a maximum amount of nutritious, tasty food for a minimum bill, all while talking myself out of the expensive junk food I so desire. (These are not the Pop Tarts you are looking for …)

During this week’s grocery trip, though, I decided to look for something at the store I hadn’t before: empty shelves.

You can probably guess that I didn’t find any. No sold-out items, or even waning ones. My cheese was one of scores of blocks. My milk was surrounded by dozens of identical gallons. Even the less common items – this week it was maaagical Odwalla bars, to fill my need as a nursing mother for massive amounts of food all day long – were sold in boxes and stacks and piles.

The store had an abundance of everything.

Here is what got me thinking about this:


Yayyyy fuzzy cell phone picture!


Yup, that’s a table full of bread. It’s in the lobby of my church, which runs a food pantry. Last week, that table was one of four holding breads, rolls, cookies, pastries, and cakes that we ran out of room for on the four big shelves in the food pantry itself.





Every week, a few local stores give the pantry the food they can’t sell – mostly day-old bread and baked goods, but also meat nearing its expiration date (it lasts longer once frozen), produce that’s not pretty enough for the shelves any more, and any damaged but still safe items.

The new Walmart in town was added to this donation rotation lately, and the food pantry – plus several other rooms in the church – have been stuffed to the gills with food. (And the amazing managers, Jean and Bev, have been going nuts trying to sort it all out.)

So I’ve been thinking about abundance.

Can you imagine walking into a store and finding it’s sold out of chicken, or bread, or milk? For most of us it would be bizarre and alarming. We’re comforted knowing we have more options than we could possibly handle. So the shelves stay full, far exceeding demand.

With great abundance comes great waste.

I can’t even begin to speculate on how much food in my community ends up in the garbage – from home fridges (my own, certainly), but straight from grocery store shelves, too. All that food that ends up at the food pantry could so easily end up in a Dumpster. Plenty of other food does. (Check out the incredible and funky gallery at Wasted Food for some examples.) 

What’s more, a 2004 study found that “forty to fifty percent of all food ready for harvest never gets eaten” in America (read the whole article here.) That’s food from the fields, before we even start processing and packaging. It’s staggering.

But it’s necessary to know. Here’s why: The first question on the U.N. World Food Programme’s FAQ website is “Is there a food shortage in the world?”

The answer: “There is enough food in the world today for everyone to have the nourishment necessary for a healthy and productive life.”

But we still get statistics like the 925 million people in the world who don’t have enough food, and the millions of children who die of malnutrition and hunger-related diseases. (www.wfp.org/hunger/stats

I’d heard all this before. But seeing those tables at the food pantry last week, then noticing the stocked shelves at the grocery store this week has really gotten me processing the whole situation.

And it is staggering and exhausting and massive and frustrating. I can’t ultimately fix the fact that I choose from abundance while others have no options. But I can help contribute to the discussion. I can bring attention to the problems and some of the small solutions – like the food pantry -- and learn more about the people and organizations who are working on broader solutions.

I can bug whoever stumbles across my little bloggy podium here, and hope you get thinking too.

Next time you’re in the grocery store, look around and appreciate all that abundance. Don’t feel guilty or angry – feel inspired. Ask what you might be able to do.

A table full of bread that will be eaten and appreciated instead of thrown away is a start anyone can be part of.

6 comments:

  1. Tara,

    I am so glad you posted this. This is definitely something that is matching something that I have been thinking about a lot over the last few years.

    I am a music teacher at a Title One School where we have 83% of our population on Free and Reduced Lunch. Last year, my husband and I and some of our friends started a non-profit organization for kids that do not eat at home. They only eat when they are in school. We were having kids that came to our school on Mondays STARVING because they never ate at home. We started providing backpacks for kids to take home with them over the weekend so they can have something to eat. Our website is http://kineofoundation.org/

    What I am trying to say is that I would like to encourage others to look for ways to help not only in third world countries but also in your own backyard. There is a huge need all over!

    Thanks again for posting this!

    Love,
    Amy

    PS I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My high school senior came home about a month ago and told me that a friend had not had anything to eat all weekend. Not here! This cannot be happening in my town! A backpack of food went home with her friend that next weekend ( a four day weekend). Sad this problem exsists when there is help but people either don't know about it or don't utilize it.

      Delete
    2. That is so cool, Amy! Are you hoping to expand to other schools in Idaho? If you ever end up with stuff up this direction I'd love to help out. (And I need to come to Boise to say hisometime -- it's been waaaay too long!)

      Delete
    3. And Anonymous - thanks for being part of the solution :) Finding help can be hard for people, but accepting it is hard, too -- part of why I think it's so important to talk about hunger issues and acknowledge how common they are.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this. There is no excuse for ANYONE in the United States to go hungry. We just have to make sure that the overabundance is shared.

    And while we are at it, we need to make sure that somehow, we contribute to resources so that people and kids in other nations do not go hungry either.

    Thanks
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there's a big difference between what is "enough" in reality and "enough" manifesting itself as this abundance you're describing. Thank you for encouraging others like me to make changes for ourselves and those around us!

    ReplyDelete

Happy commenting! Remember: Debate is encouraged. Meanies are not. (And if you don't have a Google account but want to leave your name, select Name/URL)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...